Transitioning to a Plant Based Diet
Healthy eating is becoming more prevalent in today’s society. However, we never speak about how to fully transition to a healthier way of eating. For example, how does one change their current lifestyle to something brand new like a plant based lifestyle? Well today we will discuss how to transition to a plant based diet and what steps you can take or should follow depending on how far you are in your current lifestyle transition.
As with anything in life, you don’t want to rush the process as you may experience some adverse effects. When it comes to changing your lifestyle, take the ‘Tortoise’ approach and not the ‘Hares’ approach. What this means in laymen’s terms is take your time and don’t rush. Allow your body to adjust to your changes as the Planet takes time to go through its four seasons. The body needs the same time to adapt and to properly nurture you on this journey. Thus, without further ado we will cover some salient steps to help in your transition from your current lifestyle to a “plant based lifestyle.”
Here are a few simple tips
- Not rushing the process, be patient with self
- Allow your body time to transition from your old lifestyle (This can take days, weeks, months or years to fully transition)
- Focus on changing the water you’re drinking and find a better way to hydrate the body. Click here to learn more about water and the best brands to drink.
4. Get rid of old seasonings that have a list of ingredients especially if they are not natural.
5. Buy your own seasonings one by one. Only one ingredient of the item you’re purchasing should be listed on the package.
- Italian seasoning
6. Things to stay away from when seeing multiple ingredients such as:
7. Start incorporating fruits into your day.
Here is a list of popular fruit:
- All forms of berries: Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.
- Passion fruit
- Date palm
- Asia Pear
8. Start incorporating more vegetables into daily meals.
Here goes a list of popular vegetables:
- New Zealand Spinach
- Brussel Sprouts
- Garden Asparagus
- Green Beans
- Turnip Greens
- Red Cabbage
- Garden Rhubarb
- Bok choy
9. When wanting to snack try eating nuts instead. They can be filling and nutritional.
Here is a list of popular nuts:
- Macadamia Nuts
- Pine Nuts
- Brazil nuts
10. Start adding seeds to all your meals. Seeds are a good source of omegas and protein. You can do this by simply sprinkling chia, hemp or flax seeds on you food.
Here are some popular seeds:
- Hemp Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
11. Change your salt to sea salt preferably.
Here goes a list of alternative salts:
- Himalayan Salt
- Sea Salt
- Celtic Sea Salt
- Fleur De Sel
- Black Lava Salt
- Red Salt
- Persian Blue